WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU REACH FOR THAT DIET PILL
Holiday cookies, candy, drinks, and get-togethers can cause you to gain weight. As the holidays draw to an end, you may be looking for a fast and easy weight loss solution. One of the solutions that many people turn to is diet pills. However, diet pills are not always the get-slim-fast solution that many people think they are. Here is some information that you should know about diet pills before you turn to them for weight loss.
What Can Happen If You Improperly Take Diet Pills
Improper use of diet pills includes taking pills that are not prescribed to you, taking more pills than is advised or taking diet pills longer than what is recommended. If you improperly take diet pills, there are many serious health issues that can arise. Some of these issues include:
- High blood pressure
- Kidney damage
- Liver damage
- Rectal bleeding
- Sleeping problems
- Stomach pain
- Tachycardia, also known as increased heart rate
What the Symptoms of a Diet Pill Overdose Are
If you take too many diet pills to drop weight quickly, you can overdose on diet pills. Some of the symptoms of a diet pill overdose include:
- Heart attack
- Renal failure
- Shortness of breath
Overdosing on diet pills can even lead to death. Before you begin to take any diet pills, whether they be over-the-counter or prescribed, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional.
Important Facts About Diet Pills
There are many important facts about diet pills that you should be aware of before you reach for a pill to help you with your weight loss. Here are some of those facts:
- The Food and Drug Administration does not regulate many over-the-counter products, including herbal supplements and diet pills.
- An FDA investigation found 70 kinds of diet pills were spiked with dangerous drugs.
- The FDA does regulate prescription diet pills, including what research is done before the drugs hit the shelves and what ingredients may be found in them.
- Prescription weight loss pills are intended for people with a BMI over 30 or those with a BMI over 27 and health problems such as diabetes and heart problems. They are not designed for someone who wants to lose ten pounds quickly.
- Diet pills are not always safe. The side effects can be extremely dangerous.
- Many diet pills are merely a combination of caffeine and diuretics. These can lead to dangerous dehydration.
Unless a diet pill is prescribed to you by your physician, there may be serious side effects to taking it. If you have turned to diet pills to lose weight, and the diet pills have caused you injury or medical problems, contact Mukerji Law Firm. You may be able to file a personal injury claim against the manufacturer of the diet pill for your medical expenses, lost wages and injuries. Contact us today for a free consultation.